Nursing Studies 5M4349 Level 5
Certification: Nursing Studies – QQI Level 5 (5M4349)
This course is designed to prepare students to progress to 3rd Level Institutions to study Nursing, Midwifery, Social Care or other subjects in the healthcare field. The course also prepares students who wish to work in healthcare in a variety of settings such as nursing homes, community settings and hospitals. There are practical and academic components in this course including skills demonstrations, assignments, exams and project work.
1 year Full Time
- 5N0749 Anatomy and Physiology
- 5N2770 Care Skills
- 5N1370 Social Studies
- 5N1279 Human Growth and Development
- 5N1794 Safety and Health at Work
- 5N4325 Nursing Theory and Practice
- 5N0690 Communication
- 5N1356 Work Experience
- Patient Moving and Handling
Leaving Certificate or Leaving Certificate Applied or LCVP or FETAC/QQI Level 4 Award. Equal consideration will be given to mature applicants (those aged over 23) who do not meet these entry requirements. Students will need to undergo the Garda Vetting process.
External work experience is a vital part of this course. Learners are required to secure a minimum of 80 hours’ work experience.
Practical placements include:
- Nursing Homes
- Day care centres
- Specialist care settings
- Hospital settings
Costing for Course:
- Registration fee: €150 Non-refundable
- PLC Government Levy: €200 – Exempt if student has evidence of Back to Education or SUSI Grant or Medical Card
- Uniforms: €25 (Approx) – Paid via website www.happythreads.ie discount code will be given when course commences
- Human Growth and Development Book: €25/30 (approx.)
- Name Badges: €5.00 – Edit Print, Longford
- Manual Handling (Mandatory): €30 (approx.) depending on trainer
- First Aid/CPR: €100 (approx.) depending on trainer
- Exam/Certificate Fee: €50
*COSTS & COURSE DETAILS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.
Career Opportunities and Academic Progression
Learners who successfully complete the course will have many professional and academic opportunities. Opportunities include studying in Ireland and England. In Ireland the learner can study an undergraduate honours degree programmes in General, Psychiatric, Intellectual Disability, Children’s Nursing and Midwifery. Information about the location of these courses can be found on http://www.nmbi.ie/Education/Undergraduate-programmes
- Athlone Institute of Technology
- St. Angela’s College Sligo
- Trinity College Dublin
- Dublin City University
- Galway Mayo Institute of Technology
Normally at QQI Level 5: 8 distinctions is required and is viewed as the equivalent of 390 CAO points in the Leaving Certificate.
Can also study BA (Hons) Applied Social Studies in Social Care in various locations e.g. Athlone IT.
Entry to Nursing in the UK is through UCAS.
Course Co-ordinator: Nessa Griffin – Heslin: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org