Advanced Certificate in Business 6M4985
QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Business 6M4985
Course Duration: One Year
Progression: successful students from year one have the opportunity to move to year two of the Higher Certificate in Business in Athlone Institute of Technology
The Advanced Certificate in Business is an one year full-time course, which will give you the business knowledge and skills to form the basis of a career in industry, commerce or the public service. You will gain an understanding of the functional areas of business and of the factors which influence business success.
Any QQI Level 5 Certificate (no specific module requirements).
Graduates of this course have secured employment in areas such as
- Retail services and computing
Successful students from year one have the opportunity to move to year two of the Higher Certificate in Business in Athlone Institute of Technology
Holders of this Higher Certificate are then eligible to apply to join the Bachelor of Business (Level 7) at Athlone Institute of Technology.
Fees Year 1
Student Services Registration Fee: €100
Government Levy: €200
QQI Examination Fees: €80
Total Course Cost *€380
*Due to exemptions Total Costs for the following groups apply:
(1) Medical Card Holders – €100
(2) BTEA recipients- €100
(3) Grant recipients – €180
- Business Management 6N4310 – understand the role and function of management in a business environment. Gain a detailed picture of the management of planning, organising and controlling. Develop effective management skills such as leadership and communications.
Assignments 40% & Project 60%
- Finance 6N4165 – Learn to understand the financial statements of an organisation by preparing a detailed financial report using key accounting ratios. Understand costing systems such as absorption and marginal costing. Prepare financial budgets and evaluate capital expenditure projects in order to provide management with information for decision making.
Examination 60% Assignment 40%
- Applied Economics 6N4091– Identify the main characteristics of perfect competition and monopoly. Identify market structures. Understand gross domestic product, research the main instruments of fiscal and monetary policy.
Assignments – 50 % (Two assignments, with a weighting of 25% each)
Examination – theory 50%
- Customer Service 6N0697 – is designed to enable the learner gain a detailed understanding of the customer service function within an organisation and to facilitate the development of effective customer service skills. The programme is suitable for persons already working in a customer services role who would like a recognised qualification to support their practical experience.
Portfolio/Collection of Work 50% & Skills Demonstration 50%
- Spreadsheets 6N4089 –Develop an advanced working knowledge using multiple worksheets, formulas and functions in a Spreadsheet application for many practical uses at work and at home.
Project 60% & Practical Examination 40%
- Work Experience 6N1946 – Present a detailed personal skills audit and career plan including personal goals, action points, development opportunities and career paths. Demonstrate supervisory skills and capacities in the workplace. Participate effectively in a work experience placement for a minimum of 60 hours to gain experience/insight into their chosen vocational area.
Portfolio/Collection of Work 60% & Skills Demonstration 40%
- Marketing Management 6N4188
The purpose of this award is to enable the learner to acquire the knowledge, skill and competence to analyse, evaluate and critically apply marketing management principles and practice to a range of contexts working independently and or taking responsibility for the work of others and or to progress to higher education and training.
Project 60% & Theory Examination 40%
- Conflict Management 6N2775
Conflict Management programme designed to enable participants to develop a greater awareness of their personal style of dealing with conflict in the workplace and in their personal lives.
Participants will appreciate the role of effective conflict management in a group and organisational life. Participants will be encouraged to develop an analytical framework for understanding and managing conflict in their workplace through the use of interactive case studies
Collection of work – 50% & Case Study – 50%
For more information contact the course coordinator – Claire Prunty